Monday, September 21, 2015

Garden Pumpkin Puree and Pumpkin Pie

How to Tackle Making a Pumpkin Pie like Amber -

Step One:
Plant and grow an awesome, but possibly excessive pumpkin patch. (The excessiveness is still being debated.)

Step Two: 
Wait, somewhat impatiently, for pumpkins to ripen. (Or you can just wait till pumpkin season and go to the store and buy a pumpkin.)


Step Three:
Pick a medium size (about 5lbs) Sugar Pie pumpkin.


Step Four: 
Decide medium size pumpkin may not be big enough and pick another small (about 2.5 lbs) pumpkin. 

Step Five:
Wash pumpkin exteriors, cut pumpkins in half, scoop out stringy interior and seeds. 

Step Six:
Search multiple recipes for pumpkin puree. Spend way too much time deciding which cooking method to use, then just put the pumpkins cut side down in a baking dish. 


Step Seven:
Cook pumpkins at 400° for about 40 mins until easily pierced with a knife. 


Step Eight:
Wait for, what seems like, EVER for pumpkins to cool after baking. Run out of time and put them in the fridge overnight.

Step Nine:
Start "Project: Pumpkin Pie" again the next morning. Forget about taking pictures of the messy pumpkin scraping/puree making process. 

Step Ten: 
Use a big spoon to scrape the flesh from the pumpkin shells into a bowl. Let pumpkin sit on paper towel to remove excess water

Step Eleven: 
Realize fresh pumpkin flesh is WAY stringier than the pumpkin puree from stores. Google to make sure something didn't go wrong. Realize it's fine and keep going.

Step Twelve:
Don't own a good food processor. Regret that fact.

Step Thirteen:
Attempt to squash the pumpkin through a collander to puree it and make it less stringy. Give up, and just smash the pumpkin in a bowl with a potato masher and a silicone scraper. 

Step Fourteen:
Search multiple pumpkin pie recipes.  Spend way too much time looking at recipes.

Step Fifteen:
See that most recipes call for evaporated milk. Search for substitutions for evaporated milk.

Step Sixteen:
Decide on a recipe to use as a base but then alter it to work with what you have on hand. 

Step Seventeen:
Preheat oven to 400°. 
Gather ingredients:

Refrigerated pie dough (or make pie dough)
3 smallish farm fresh eggs (or 2 large eggs)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 can store bought pumpkin)
1 cup whole milk (or 1 can evaporated milk)


Step Eighteen:
In mixing bowl slightly beat eggs together. Beat in sugar. Add salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Mix in pumpkin puree and milk.


Step Nineteen:
Think you probably should have done this step before you made the pie filling. Then put premade dough into ungreased pie pan. Pinch edges so your pie looks somewhat presentable.


Step Twenty:
Bake crust at 400° for 10ish minutes until lightly brown.


Step Twenty-One:
Turn oven down to 350°. Pour pie filling into crust. Place pie in oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Step Twenty-Two:
Post pictures of finished product on social media, then let your husband dig in.

Step Twenty-Three:
Get a request for the recipe and decide it'd be fun to blog about it. Start labeling your steps and then regret it by step twelve. Decide there is no turning back, continue labeling the steps, and publish a blog post. 

Step Twenty-Four:
Go back and update your blog to say that a 5lb pumpkin would have been more than enough...A 2.5 lb would have been enough. 

Step Twenty-Five:
Have your husband take the pie with him to work so you don't eat it all. Freeze excess pumpkin puree. 


56 comments:

  1. Haha--I LOVE your step by step commentary! I'm not much of a baker, so I'm impressed that you managed to make it through to the end. What a pretty pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most recipes leave out the messy details but I wanted to show them all. :) It was a long process but worth it.

      Delete
  2. Bookmarked !. I like the way you have explained the entire process. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And am still planning on makingthat zucchini bread recipe you shared, just didn't get time yet :) Thanks for checking my recipe out and for the kind comment!

      Delete
  3. I've never really been a fan of pumpkin but I should try this all out!
    -sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fun making and fun eating. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy to see a pumpkin pie recipe that uses homemade pumpkin puree. I think it's worth the extra effort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth the effort. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Ha. I finally made a pumpkin pie starting from an actual pumpkin (and not a can of puree) a couple of years ago. I felt the pie turned out lighter in texture, somehow than the ones I'd made before. Such an interesting process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised everytime I make something from my garden how it is so much better than store bought. Even just boiled potatoes taste better!

      Delete
  6. I love homemade foods,they are so comforting. I would love a slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula let me know and I'll cook you up a pie. ;D

      Delete
  7. Making a pumpkin pie from scratch is a goal. Now that I have step by step instructions it might be in my near future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most useful tutorial on how to make a pumpkin pie I have ever read. I not a good cook, far from it, but your step by step instructions, complete with a little humor to remind me that cooking isn't a form of torture, are awesome and make me feel like even I could make a pumpkin pie. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you, Karina, for the kind words. I hope you do attempt a pumpkin pie. It is very rewarding.

      Delete
  9. I've baked pumpkins before but this whole process is very easy reading your instructions. My next pie will be made this way. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are the best directions ever. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  11. It would be so cool to make a pumpkin pie out of a pumpkin you grew yourself! This recipe looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really exciting to use our own pumpkins this year! You should try to grow some yourself. They can be grown in containers if you live in a small space. :)

      Delete
  12. Cute commentary. You sound like me when I try to decide on a new recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      There is so many great recipes with just slight variations. Gotta make sure I'm picking the right one! ;)

      Delete
  13. This looks great. I have a pumpkin lying around, so now I know what to do with this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Pumpkin Pie!

    -Cameron
    The World Pursuit

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love baking, but pumpkin pies never turn out right for me. However, I bake and puree pumpkins all the time for other baked goods.

    Marissa

    Reading List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't your pumpkin pies ever turn out? What's your favorite pumpkin dessert to make? I like pumpkin quick bread/muffins best. :)

      Delete
    2. I tend to loose track of time and dry them out... I don't like the cracks on the top... although I hide them with whipped cream. I love making pumpkin muffins, and "cookie" bars... my kids enjoy pumpkin shakes, but that's not actually baking....

      Marissa

      Delete
    3. I just use my nose to know when to start checking. :) So I'm not much help in there. Whip cream can solve lots of problems!

      Whar recipe do you use for pumpkin shakes? I've never made one.

      Delete
  16. I've never tried to make pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins! For some reason, it seemed to complicated to me; but maybe not? I'll have to try!

    xo, Chelsie @ life with rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt before trying it, but now I know as long as I have sufficient cooling time it's pretty easy (especially if you have a good food processor!) It freezing so well is really helpful too. You get alot of puree from one pumpkin. :)

      Delete
  17. Looks SO yummy, thanks for the share! I have been wanting to try to make a pie from scratch for fall, especially pumpkin pie. Will have to try it- perfect for thanksgiving!
    *thegoodthingscomin.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  18. I have a pumpkin waiting to be roasted, thank you for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Let me know how it goes. Hopefully you can cut a few steps out of your process with these instructions. ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  19. Aaaaaaaand, this is why I make those lame pumpkin pies with store-bought crust and the recipes on the pumpkin cans. Kudos to you--25 steps is a lot. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Dont give up on from scratch pies! Growing your own pumpkin is optional. That cuts out 2 steps right there. There just might, possibly, be a couple other steps you could cut out. ;)

      Delete
  20. Thanks for all of the wonderful tips. Joe @ www.mydaddoes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. Love the photos of the pumpkin in the oven. I've never seen them cooked before! Thanks for sharing the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha-ha! Love your steps! A lot more interesting than just posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great. This is my first year ever making pumpkin pie period, so I haven't tried to make it from scratch yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How did your first pie(s) turn out? :)

      Delete
  24. I love pumpkin pie! You are amazing to grow your own pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I really enjoyed growing pumpkins.

      Delete